What is a Niche?
The word niche has multiple meanings and it can be pronounce in one or two ways (depending on where you are from). Listed below are some of the interesting definitions I found.
- a job or activity that is very suitable for someone (okay I like this one)
- an environment that has all the things that a particular plant or animal needs in order to live (huh?)
- A specialized market (That sounds good)
- a place, employment, status, or activity for which a person or thing is BEST fitted (Nice I like this one!)
- the situation in which a business’s products or services can succeed by being sold to a particular kind or group of people (BINGO!!!)
What I’m getting at ladies and gentlemen is that a niche is something that you have a genuine interest in and it is something that you are willing to learn more about and you can share your particular knowledge on it to a particular market(audience). A niche is something that you are passionate about and it has a specialized audience.
Many people have trouble with coming up with a niche because they are thinking of one in the wrong way. They let money be their starting point. They start to think of things that they can promote and sell on their website rather than it being something that they are genuinely passionate about. Trust me my friend, that is not the way you find a successful niche.
A niche is something that is more than just a hobby or an interest. It is something that you are passionate about and it has an audience. It is something that gets you excited. It is something that cause 0 stress when you are doing it. The whole goal of building a website around your niche is to make money with your passion.
How do I come up with a Niche?
Below are the type of questions that you should can ask yourself. I’ve put some examples of different products in my questions but you will get the idea of where I am going with it. Read the following questions below.
- What exactly is it that you are genuinely passionate about?
- What would you enjoy learning more about and sharing it to the world?
- Do you like shoes, hats, bikes, wigs or make-up? Think about certain products that you love using.
- Is there a particular interest you have in losing weight? Do you genuinely want to learn about products that help you gain weight or products that help you lose weight?
- Are you someone that is interested in photography and different types of cameras? If you so, can you write reviews or research other people reviews and form you own opinion about it?
- Are there any recommendations you would like to share to the world on certain hobbies, products, or services that you use?
Take a moment and just think about something that you love and think about how your love for this niche can benefit someone else. You are going to be writing content and communicating within your niche. You are going to be choosing products to promote within your niche. This is why I say it is important for you to have a genuine interest in your niche. It will feel a lot less lot work and you will be more productive.
How to Make a Niche Work for Your Online Business
In order to build an online business around your niche, it has to have an audience. You have to have a group of people that you want to reach. There are a BILLION people online. Your niche can be anything that these BILLION people search for online.
- Be specific. Once you have a niche the next thing you want to do is simplify it or make it something more specific to your target audience. Let’s say you are someone interested in shoes. You can be more specific by focusing on winter shoes such as boots, or basketball shoes such as Air Jordans.
- Build up your site by writing interesting content that relates to your niche.
- Once you have your group and your website up and running you can start earning some money. You earn money by promoting other peoples products and services through affiliated programs that relates to your niche. One of the biggest Affiliate program in the world is Amazon (Click here to learn more about Affiliated Programs)
It’s really that simple. Coming up with a niche is actually the easiest part of your online business. What actually takes the most time and effort is building your site and creating content. That is also easy because everything is simplified and your are given step by step lessons at Wealthy Affiliate. Learn More
DON’T BE AFRAID!
I hope I haven’t scared you with all this niche talk and made it seem like some difficult task to complete. It is not that at all. The most time you should spend even thinking about what your niche should be is approximately 15-30 mins. By the end of that time, I know you will come up with something, so go for it! You do not have to be an expert at all. Google is everyone’s friend. If it something that you enjoy, you like to talk about or you would love to learn more about, it is good niche. It doesn’t matter what it is. Your first niche probably won’t be your last and any niche can become a full time successful online business. For more advice on figuring out your niche, click here.
I’d love to hear what your niche ideas are and offer my help or advice. Please leave a comment below with your niche ideas!